Insurance claims



​Insurance claims after a natural disaster

Step one: Notify your insurer to start the claims process

If you are a homeowner or a renter, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. Make sure you have the following information ready:

  • The name of your insurance company

  • Your policy number

  • A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times

An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, please contact your insurance agent or company again. Find your company's toll-free phone number or by contacting the North Carolina Department of Insurance at 1-855-408-1212.

Step two: Document damage

Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

  • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.

  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.

  • Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.

Step three: Complete a proof of loss to support your claim

Your adjuster will assist you in preparing a Proof of Loss (which is your sworn statement of the amount you are claiming, including necessary supporting documentation) for your official claim for damages. You'll need to file your Proof of Loss with your insurance company within 60 days. You'll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss.

If you are a renter and do not have renter's insurance, the homeowner's insurance policy will not pay for replacement of your property. If you are uninsured, you may apply for financial assistance from FEMA by calling 1-800-621-3362.

If you are having problems with your claim or if you disagree with the adjustor's estimate, contact the adjuster's supervisor. If that does not resolve the disagreement, contact the claims department to discuss the amount difference or coverage issue with a claim examiner. Send a new proof of loss form with supporting documentation for the entire amount you are requesting directly to the claim examiner. If you still disagree with the insurance company's decision, file a complaint with the North Carolina Department of Insurance at 1-855-408-1212.